St. Madeline History
Established 1908
Her Founding Fathers
In 1906, the corner of Penn and Tome streets was an empty lot owned by Mr. Frederick J. Mitchell. The Pontificate of His Holiness, Pope Pius X was in his fourth year, Rev. Patrick John Ryan was serving his twelfth year as the Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, and Theodore Roosevelt was President. A bottle of delivered milk cost $.14 and a dozen eggs cost $.27. Traveling from city to city was by train, streetcar, or foot. The Ridley Park population was just over 1,700 people. The closet Catholic church was St. Rose of Lima in Eddystone, about a 40-minute walk from Ridley Park.
Sanctioned by Father Thomas F. Ryan, Pastor of St Rose of Lima, Mr. Mitchell organized a group of Catholic laymen for the purpose of raising funds to build a Catholic church in Ridley Park. On November 27, 1906, Michael J. Comerford, George F. Messick, Henry A. McCarthy, and Jame Francis Stewart joined Mr. Mitchell at his home residence along with several others including Father Ryan. Before long, $9.4 million dollars was gathered to begin the project. In addition to the plot of land, Mr. Mitchell contributed over half the amount. The group unanimously recommended to Fr. Ryan and Mr. Mitchell that the church be dedicate to God, under the patronage of St. Madeline, in honor of Mr. Mitchell’s wife Madeline Mitchell.
Frederick J. Mitchell
Michael J. Comerford
Her Beginning
In April 1907, the committee opened the project for contractor bids. The contract was awarded to Mr. F.J. McDevitt shortly after. The was of neo-Gothic architecture. It was a one-story building built of gray Chestnut Hill stone with stone approaches and steps. On the birthday of our Blessed Mother, September 8, 1907, the first brick was laid, less than a year after the initial committee meeting. The Most Reverend Edmond F. Prendergast officiated, assisted by Reverend F.J. Sheehan and Reverend J.C. Hannigan. The Sermon was preached by The Right Reverend Monsignor James F. Loughlin, who expressed gratitude to all the benefactors. The event was one of the largest Catholic gatherings in Delaware county at the time.
The Church was opened for services on October 15th, 1907, and dedicated on February 2, 1908, the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Mother. The Right Reverend Monsignor James P. Turner, Chancellor of the Archdiocese officiated. Following the dedication, Solemn High Mass was celebrated by the Reverend Thomas J. Ryan.
The Mission Church remained part of the Parish of St. Rose of Lima until February 1909, just one year after the dedication. The congregation had increased so quickly that St. Madeline’s was declared a separate parish and given parochial boundaries which included: Ridley Park, Folsom, part of Glenolden, Ridley Heights, Holmes, and the Mission Church of St. Gabriel in Norwood.
George Messick
Her First Pastors
Reverend Francis P. Bradley was appointed the first resident Pastor of St. Madeline’s Church on January 24, 1909. Some of the early parishioners recall Fr. Bradley as a humble, gentlemanly priest who rendered pastoral affection and wise administration; and one who had a good sense of humor.
Ground was broken for a rectory on March 25, 1909, with Fr. Bradley’s supervision. It was built on the left side of the Church on Tome Street. The new building was ready for occupancy on July 29th of that same year. In June of 1912, Fr. Bradley was transferred to the Immaculate Conception Parish in Philadelphia due to his failing health. Reverend William J. McCullen, Ph.D, succeeded Fr. Bradley in that same month.
While stationed at the Church if St. James in Philadelphia, Fr. McCallen attended Graduate School at the University of Pennsylvania and obtained a Doctorate in History making him the first Catholic priest to attain a Ph.D. at the University. Fr. McCallen was influential in building a new church and school in Norwood. This new parish of St. Gabriel’s was formed in September of 1914 and included the territory of St. Madeline’s north of Chester Pike and Lincoln Ave.
The parish continued to grow. Because the church design did not include a sacristy, in 1920 the church underwent an expansion completed by parish craftsmen in the evening after their jobs. In Early 1921, Archbishop Dennis J. Dougther requested a school be built. A property on Tome Street was purchased in 1922 and construction begin in 1923. The school was built of gray Chestnut Hill stone with first floor classrooms and living quarters for the Sisters on the second floor. The school opened in September of 1924. Fr. McCallen passed on June 15, 1924, and was succeeded by Reverend Patrick J. Gallagher just a few short weeks later.
Reverend Francis P. Bradley January 1902-June 1912
Church and Rectory on Tome Street
St. Madeline’s first school
Reverend William J. McCallen, Ph.D. June 1912-June 1924
Fr. Gallagher was appointed Paster in 1924. Fr. McCallen and Fr. Gallagher were boyhood friends as well as classmates at the Seminary of St. Charles Borromeo. St. Madeline’s Holy Name Society was formed as a Parish organization. Most programs were sponsored or assisted by the Society. Meetings were held monthly where they would plan events like cards parties, the Parish Carnivals, fueling summer collections, sponsoring the Boy Scout Troop of St. Madeline’s, forming St. Vincent DePaul Society and volunteering at all Parish activities. They remained active until the 1960s.
In March of 1942, Father George H McCullough was appointed to St. Madeline’s Parish. Part of the history of St. Madeline’s is best chronicled by excerpts from a diary which Fr. McCullough wrote during his 11 years that he served the Parish. From those pages we learned that the parish had about 50 families at the time and the school has 165 children enrolled. He also writes about a Social Club for Catholic girls to meet Catholic boys that was started by a parishioner shortly after the end of the war. This club was named St. Madeline’s Player Club which hosted socials and dances for boys and girls. The club quickly became known as the “Marriage a Month Club”, keeping Fr. McCullough busy with weddings and christenings.
Another excerpt tells us how parishioners were complaining about having to attend Mass on the church steps and extended area. This reached the Archbishop and Fr. Gallagher was notified to relieve the situation. He writes “We assessed each family, the church was enlarged. It was adequate, and there was no debt”. In addition, a lot adjoining the school was purchased for the sum of $6,000. Fr. Gallagher passed away on June 24, 1952, just weeks after celebrating his 50th year of his Ordination to the Holy Priesthood.
Pastorate of the Reverend Patrick J. Gallagher June 1924-June 1952
Kane
A wedding
Originators of St Madeline’s Bowling League: Bob Katein, Mary King Katein, Catherine Blain, Mary Anne Fadden, and Alvin Trefz
Henry A. McCarthy
Artist drawing of the new school in 1953. A second-floor addition was constructed in 1956.
James Francis Stewart
St. Madeline’s after the expansion